Drakes United Methodist Church

Serving Flowood Mississippi

Pastor Glenn Hoskins

Come Join the Journey!!!

Mission Statement: We at Drakes are called to be fishers of men and to love the least of these so that all may have more abundant lives.

Time Line:

Here is a short synopsis of the history of Drakes United Methodist Church.

Drakes Timeline.
Date Event
April 20, 1858 Four Acre lot donated by Dr. Oscar Hamilton and his wife, Sigismunda.
May, 1858 House of Worship constructed from logs cut from lot. Building named Drakes Chapel.
1867-1869 Building burns down after a stove used for heating is left on after school.
October 1890 New building project started.
April 4, 1891 New one-room building completed.
August 1891 Building dedicated.
Sept. 11, 1951 Starts construction on a new sanctuary, while the old portion was dedicated to education.
June 13, 1952 Construction complete and dedicated.
1973 New education wing built with four classrooms and a fellowship hall built.
April 1979 The Great Easter Flood of '79 destroys the church.
Oct. 7, 1979 New church bulding dedicated.
March 2017 Seals, joists and flooring replaced in the original portion of the building because of termite damage.